The latest addition to the Bridgestone Potenza range of tires is the RE970AS Pole Position replacing the previous RE960AS Pole Position which was considered to be an outstanding Ultra High Performance tire for both the wet and dry road conditions.
- Make: Bridgestone
- Model: Potenza RE970AS Pole Position
- Where to buy: amazon.com
- Suitable weather condition: All weather with light snow
- Tread pattern: Asymmetrical
- My rating: 8.5 out of 10
- Using silica based nano chemical rubber compound reputed to have good tread wear resistance, very precise steering control and good road grip on wet and dry road conditions.
- Asymmetrical, 3-Dimensional siping tread design derived from Stealth block technology. This tread design is known for its excellent wet grip characteristic as it allows for good water evacuation thus having good hydroplaning resistance.
- Twin steel belted, reinforced with spirally wrapped nylon. Constructed with hard sidewall fillers resisting tread distortion at high speeds.
- Dry braking- using 3-Dimensional siping tread design for good dry braking capability. Rating- 9.0 out of 10.
- Wet braking- the tread design and the remarkable quality of the rubber compound enables good wet braking capability too. Rating-8.8 out of 10.
- Handling- the 3-Dimensional siping design gives this tire good traction during cornering, straight line stability and remarkable steering responsiveness. Rating-8.8 out of 10.
- Hydroplaning resistance- good water evacuation ability contributed by the unique tread design. Rating 8.0 out of 10.
- Snow traction- traction is acceptable on a road surface with moderately packed snow. This tire is not quite suitable for use on heavy snow conditions. Rating-6.0 out of 10.
- Ride comfort- as in the case of most performance tires, the stiff sidewalls do not allow for too much flexing and therefore ride comfort is at an acceptable level. Rating- 7.8 out of 10.
- Noise level- due to its continuous rib tread design, this tire has very acceptable noise level even on very rough road terrain. Rating-7.7 out of 10.
- Rolling resistance- resistance to motion mainly determined by tread design and rubber compound used. As in this case, a good combination has resulted in above average performance. Rating- 7.8 out of 10.
- Tread life- the life span of any tire is largely depending upon driving style, road conditions and weather conditions. Under normal use conditions, the life span of this tire can be considered as above average. Between 30,000 to 50,000km life span would be reasonable to expect. Rating- 7.8 out of 10.
The Potenza RE970AS Pole Position is classified as an ultra high performance tire intended to be used on the more sportier road vehicles.
On the road testing has revealed that it excels in most areas in the safety and performance arena. As with most high performance tires, review ratings in the area of ride comfort, noise level, rolling resistance and tread life are marginally lower when compared to standard passenger car or grand touring tires in the same range. The Potenza RE970AS Pole Position is no exception. It performs as intended.
This tire is able to take on a spirited driving style with predictable handling, traction and control..
The lower profile range with larger wheel diameters of this make has the potential for better handling performance and delivering improved stopping distance on both wet and dry road conditions.
Given the increasing demands of present day drivers and vehicles, Bridgestone has catered for a blend of traditional ultra high performance together with grand touring all season characteristics in this tire. Bridgestone ranks among the top in this range and can be considered as a quality purchase. It is highly recommended for the discerning driver who expects good performance for a reasonable price.
Please feel free to leave a comment or a question that may be of concern to you. Will be happy to connect with you promptly.